Splitting from a legal partner can be devastatingly difficult and hugely traumatic, particularly when children are involved. You can walk away from the relationship, take your children with you or leave them behind, but if you don’t have legal backup, this could be the worst mistake of your life.
Whether you’re separating from your partner, divorcing a husband or wife, fighting a custody battle, or negotiating child visitation rights, you need a family law attorney who is willing to listen and be compassionate and caring. While you want your legal representative to maintain complete confidentiality in terms of personal information and family issues, you also want somebody who will represent you and interests forcefully.
Slepian, Schwartz and Landgaard are Peachtree City family law attorneys who are empathetic, sympathetic and compassionate to the needs of their clients while aggressively representing their interests. A full-service law firm, we specialize in a number of areas, family law being just one of them.
If you’re thinking of walking away from a relationship, think carefully. Even if you aren’t contesting issues with your partner right now, chances are it’s going to happen sooner or later, particularly when it comes to money and children.
And if you aren’t married yet, it is a good idea to look at having a prenuptial agreement drawn up so that if the worst comes to worst and you want to separate, the separation can be handled with minimal trauma for all those concerned.
Legal separation issues we can help you with include:
- Prenuptial agreements, so you can have some assurance of what will happen if your marriage breaks down at some stage
- Legal separation agreements
- Contested divorce, when your marriage partner makes it legally difficult to separate legally
- Uncontested divorce, which though easier than contested divorce, has its own enormous challenges
- Division of debt and/or assets, which can be messy, particularly when there isn’t a prenuptial agreement
- Support orders and agreements, which need to be negotiated
- Annulments to marriages and agreements
- Alimony and spousal agreements
- Maintenance agreements
- Paternity and legitimation issues
- Adoption, whether you or your partner was a parent or not
- Child visitation agreements
- Child custody and modification of custody
- Child support, including collection of delinquent child-support payments
Within each of these categories there are pitfalls and potential problems that most of our clients don’t recognize. There are also numerous questions they ask about every possible issue. Take the prenuptial agreement as an example. When couples fall in love, they don’t think for a second that everything could fall apart. The truth is that everything often does fall apart. However a prenuptial agreement institutes property and financial privileges if the marriage ends in divorce, and is sensible step to take to protect personal assets and ensure that you can’t be held liable for your partner’s debts at a later stage.
Our Peachtree City family law attorney firm, Slepian, Schwartz and Landgaard, offers initial consultations at no charge for most legal matters. So if you want top quality legal representation and a sympathetic Peachtree City family law attorney who can help you get a legal separation in the most painless way possible, call us today. We’ll do everything we can to help you.