Auto accidents are commonplace and the fact is that anyone – including you – might be a victim. But if you do suffer some sort of personal injury in an auto accident a personal injury attorney can help you make a claim against the person who caused the accident.
If you live in Georgia, a good Peachtree City personal injury attorney will be able to give you detailed advice, but here is some basic information you should know.
Auto Accidents That Are the Common Cause of Personal Injury in Law
When personal injury claims linked to an auto accident goes to court some are more likely to succeed than others. And it’s not just the injuries that count. For instance, even if someone has fatal injuries negligence may not be ruled to be the cause.
Some of the causes of auto injuries that are often ruled to be the cause of personal injury, and as such form part of a claim, include:
- Distracted driving, when the driver takes his or her attention off the road to focus on something else that could be anything from a screaming child to a cell phone.
- Drunk driving, which is known to be the cause of serious, often fatal accidents.
- Exceeding the speed limit
- Ignoring traffic lights and signs
- Inexperience, even if the person has a license (of course many don’t)
Auto Accidents and Insurance
In Georgia, the law requires that all drivers must have auto insurance. But not all drivers do, so it’s important to ensure that your own insurance covers “uninsured motorists”.
While it isn’t a legal requirement in Georgia, uninsured motorist cover is worth considering because the insurance company would then cover injuries and damage to property even if the other driver did not have insurance. If you don’t have this form of cover, then your only other option will be to file a lawsuit against the other driver who, even if found guilty might not have the means to pay the compensation you are owed. If your own insurance doesn’t cover property damage and medical bills you could be in trouble.
Personal Injury Compensation
There are three different types of compensation that may be awarded for personal injury:
- Economic injuries that cover lost wages and medical expenses.
- Non-economic injuries that relate to pain and suffering caused by an auto accident.
- Punitive damages that could be awarded if there was highly negligent behavior.
Every case is different which is why it is important to talk to a reputable Peachtree City personal injury attorney or a criminal attorney in your town. The team at Slepian, Schwartz & Landgaard frequently assist people who have been injured either at work or elsewhere get compensation for their injuries. How can we help you?